Wednesday, August 26, 2020

A Study in Contrasts

8/17/20 Maple Leaf neighborhood

When composing a sketch, I often look for appealing contrasts, and in the typical urban environment, they are easy to find: Trees are soft and organic; buildings are hard and angular; cars are neither organic nor angular. This trailer and the tree and car behind it offered a nice contrast between the natural and the not and between monochrome and color. I also enjoyed experimenting with a squarish format. And yet something seems off about the composition, but I haven’t put my finger on it. Luckily for me, I can probably try this scene again any time, because this trailer has not moved in six months (and I doubt the tree has, either).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...