Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The Seduction of Color

7/2/20 Maple Leaf neighborhood

A couple of weeks ago, Virginia Hein gave a USk Talk with the challenge to put strong splashes of color on the page first, then draw over it, allowing the color to provide an emotional element to the sketch. Splashing watercolors sounded like fun, and I hoped that the challenge would push me out of my usual comfort zone of starting with a pristine page, so I jumped right in. Indeed, the splashing part was fun. I prepped several pages in a small Stillman & Birn Beta sketchbook to take out with me on walks later.

The sketches shown here are the results. The first sketch (above) was made on a dreary, overcast day that suddenly cracked open with sunshine briefly. I thought the mix of pale but clear hues helped to convey that moment of light.

7/6/20 Maple Leaf neighborhood
The other two were made on a sunny day, but I think I chose the wrong color-splashed pages for both. The red, which I thought might be cheery behind the street scene (at left), looks dark and moody after I drew the scene. The motorcycle is just a mess. Nothing about the color enhances the drawing, and in fact, detracts from it. Perhaps I was too random in splashing colors, and the abstract quality clashes strongly with my realistic style. Several followers on social media told me how much they liked these sketches, applauding the vivid colors, but I don’t like them.

I am ambivalent about color. Obviously, my obsession with using and collecting colored pencils indicates that on some emotional level, I am strongly driven by color. I love seeing it, using it, surrounding myself with it. I love it! And yet back when I first started sketching and used watercolors as my primary color medium, I ruined many not-too-bad drawings by adding color. Frankly, I’ve seen it happen to other sketchers, too: Nicely composed and rendered drawings became mediocre after flat, wimpy colors were applied. So the emotional impulse to use color does not necessarily lead to the emotional enhancement of sketches.

7/6/20
What is, in fact, the purpose of color? So many of my best drawings (and by “best,” I mean closely observed and rendered as carefully as possible) are monochrome. Sometimes my full-color sketches work well too, and I can see that color clearly enhanced the drawings in some way. But sometimes I look at a finished color sketch and think, “Huh. That would have been better as a black-and-white value study.”

 The seduction of color: Undeniably powerful and irresistible. But if it could detract from a drawing instead of enhancing it, maybe I need to resist. The challenge, of course, is knowing whether color is an essential part of the visual story I want to tell with a sketch – or whether it’s just the usual seduction.

6 comments:

  1. I have noticed that Virginia also uses white and some opaque sky color to manipulate the randomness of her paint splashes. You have three good drawings started! Maybe they just aren’t finished?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe...! It's always hard for me to finish a sketch once I've left the scene. I do have more pages prepped with color, though
      ...I'll try again sometime.

      Delete
  2. I think the challenge is not the use of color per se, but using color to accurately express value. Value is always the key to success, and it's much easier to express it in black and white. When I stopped thinking about the hue and started to focus only on value, working in color actually got much easier. One of the challenges of working on a pre-colored page it is may or may not be a good fit for the values you find in your subject when you go out to sketch. The red sky is a perfect example of how that can happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, values are the key! It's taken me a long time to learn that, too.

      Delete
  3. Good to read your thoughts about the random color on the pages and the way you work. I've often thought of trying this method but can't get myself to do it. To me color isn't random. I'm not one to drastically change the color of a scene like some artists I know. I stick more to the realistic color. Maybe that's why I don't do abstracts either. I like order in my life. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm with you...i often wish I could be more free with color, but I guess it's just not the way I think.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...