Friday, May 15, 2020

The Restated Line


I pulled this hand sketch out of my usual weekly batch because it prompted an interesting discussion on Facebook about restated lines. As you have probably noticed from all my Bic ballpoint drawings, I make initial lines lightly, but I leave them all visible. I never erase, even when I use graphite (except to put in highlights).

For this sketch, I used a Uni Pin brush pen, which has a wide range of line variation. Even with its finest tip, however, the line is still fairly bold, so my initial exploratory lines and marks do not fade in the distance; they are as black and assertive as my final lines. This may seem unfortunate in the finished drawing, and, indeed, the restated lines aren’t pretty, but I enjoy seeing them in my own and other people’s work. Restated lines are the evidence of the visual thinking and process behind the drawing.

An artist I have long admired is master draftsman Don Colley. His medium of choice is Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pens, which are waterproof markers that make a solid, indelible, potentially harsh mark. Once dry on the page, those marks cannot be changed. At first glance, his sketches look polished and finished, but if you study them a while, you’ll see the lines he initially made to search for the forms. He sometimes restates those lines, making small corrections, but of course, the permanent lines he made initially cannot be erased, so they are all there, too. 

With a lifetime of drawing experience, Don’s skill and confidence are apparent in every mark he makes. And yet he, too, leaves behind the evidence of his initial thinking. I delight in being able to see this evidence.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Yesterday as I mangled my hand sketch I thought, "I wish I could see a video of how Tina lays out her hand sketches." And,what!? You post about the restated lines in your hands. When I went to the Don Colley link, he had a video about roughing in his subject. I tried that today (although, I knew I should but rarely stick to it) and the hand is much better than yesterday. Thanks for your inspiration ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the marks and lines are still there if you look closely! ;-) The trick is to make the rest look so good that the restated ones "disappear."

      Delete
  2. I disagree - restated lines ARE pretty :-) There aren't a lot of them in my drawings because I typically use very short line segments or dots to block in my sketches. Still, to solve the proportion/relationship equation we've got to do something and your restated lines add considerably to your sketches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larry... glad you think they're pretty! ;-) I don't mind them... they serve their purpose, and I agree that they are interesting to examine.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...