Monday, March 2, 2020

Preserve & Gather

2/27/20 Preserve & Gather, Greenwood neighborhood

If all you need is a caffeine hit, your options are plentiful here; Seattle is known for having more coffee shops per capita than boats (which we apparently also have a lot of). As a sketching venue, however, the requirements are longer: It must be spacious so that multiple interior views are possible. Plenty of natural light and comfortable chairs are essential. The tables must be arranged at various angles so that profiles can be sketched as well as fronts and backs. Window seats facing an interesting view are optional but a nice bonus. A good scone goes without saying.

Zoka Coffee, where I’ve sketched countless times, used to check all the boxes. But over the years, seating has gotten more and more competitive as patrons take advantage of the unlimited wi-fi for their “offices,” squatting for hours at a time. I’ve been looking for a reliable replacement for a couple of winters.

Recently I learned about Preserve & Gather in the Greenwood neighborhood. A small sign at the counter was refreshing: “No wi-fi here” (I saw at least one man walk out when he noticed it). Large windows on two sides flood the L-shaped space with light. Window seats face Northwest 85th with future sketching potential. The bright yellow benches and metal chairs aren’t the most comfortable, but the buttered cinnamon swirl brioche toast compensated (several scones with homemade jams prompted dithering, but I rarely see brioche toast offered).

I’m not sure yet if it will become a “regular” place, but it’s high on the list. Certainly I’ll go back enough times to try all the scones.

2 comments:

  1. I am so disappointed that we have so few coffee shops. I made a list of the ones within a few minutes of the rehab but each one I've checked out have been disappointing (and there aren't many). I hope this one works out for you. This sketch of it is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it surprising how hard it is to find just the right coffee shop to sketch in! Most are too small with only a couple of tables and not much of a view. There's always Starbucks, but even those are rarely to my liking in terms of sketching.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...