Sunday, March 22, 2020

Handy

3/17/20
3/18/20

Back in 2012 when I first began this blog, as a follow-up to making 100 self-portraits, I had given myself the challenge of sketching my hand 100 times. Over the years, I have continued to use my own hands as drawing models occasionally (you can see all the posts here). While it’s not as difficult or intimidating as the face, the hand is still challenging in terms of form and proportion. It is also “handy,” and lately I’ve been taking advantage of that.

Like everyone, I’ve become more aware of my hands lately than I ever have before. (Why are they constantly wandering up to my face?) As a result of all that regular washing, I’ve also become more aware of their dryness. If you want to learn about every wrinkle or crease on your hands, just draw them.


3/16/20






Speaking of my hands, long before I began sketching, I made art out of various media, including beads and fiber. I had an old website where I used to promote that work, but I recently took down the site. I've put a small selection of the work on the top tab called Legacy Art.

2 comments:

  1. Hands are a great subject to practice. Loved the link to your legacy creations. I especially like the rope and bead sculptures...very different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking a look at my old work! I have a lot of those sculptures... those photos capture only a few.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...