Monday, October 9, 2017

Weeks of Rocks

9/26 - 10/4/17 graphite (photo reference)

Here’s the homework I’ve been working on for the past couple of weeks in my graphite drawing class. It’s meant to be a study of the rocks, and I’m not excited enough about the reference photo to finish the trees in the background or the water in the foreground, so this is probably as far as I will take it. Although it’s not the type of landscape I would generally be inspired by, I am learning plenty about trying to convey the varying contours and textures of rock as well as the relative distance of elements in a composition. 

What does excite me is how closely these graphite lessons and the Don Colley workshop last week and even my InkTober hatching exercises support and reinforce each other. Whether I’m laboring slowly at my comfy desk or sketching fast and dirty in the street with ink all over my hands, the principles are still the same.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...