Thursday, October 26, 2017

Candy Corn Trees

10/24/17 University Village
We’re having the kind of October days I used to see only on TV when I was growing up – kids walking home from school in sweaters, crunching through leaves, the late-afternoon sun casting long shadows. Pure fiction! Reality was trick-or-treating with a raincoat over my costume, trying to keep my candy from getting soggy. And yet here it is only a few days before Halloween, and we have been treated to some rare days of warm (low 60s!) sunshine and blue skies.

Tuesday on the way home from class at Suzanne’s Montlake neighborhood studio, I took the long way home past the arboretum and across the University Bridge, where the trees are ridiculously brilliant with color. I pulled into University Village and walked around for a while enjoying all the many maples. I’m not sure if their leaves will ever get to red before they fall off (or maybe this variety doesn’t), but I don’t care – against that clear blue sky, yellow-orange is fine with me. 

See below for a taste of the eye candy. 


6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I like the bits of blue sky peeking through this one. I should have ditched the tan sketchbook this month and gone for color too. But who knew the weather would last this long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Such a treat! And apparently it's going to last through the weekend!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful blue sky with the vibrant yellow leaves! Fall can be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous color in those yellow trees! About the only color we've seen here has been a few yellow trees and maybe a lone partially red tree. I think the odd weather we've had definitely affected the color her on the east coast. Glad you were able to sketch them and show their vibrant color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll probably be enjoying full color when all of our leaves are on the ground!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...