Friday, March 22, 2013

Daffodils


3/22/13 Platinum Sepia ink, watercolor, Hand Book journal
I was planning to meet a few friends to sketch at Sky Nursery this morning, but the snow flurries kept me out of the hockey puck I drive. Instead, I got a cup of tea and stayed warm at home. By afternoon, the sun came out and said that this morning’s snowstorm was just a joke.
 
I can take a joke! I jumped into my car and drove in the direction of the Wedgwood neighborhood, where I spotted this house surrounded by a rockery and lots of cheerful daffodils leaning toward the street.
 
(Technical note: I’m getting more and more disgruntled with the paper in Hand Book journals, which I have been using happily as writing and collage journals for years. Even fountain pen ink with a wash isn’t bad, but it can’t take watercolor the way I want it to. I have only a couple of pages left in this volume. When it’s full, I’m going to stick with Stillman & Birn sketchbooks exclusively, regardless of media.)

1 comment:

  1. I commented on the sketch in flickr (I like the way you've done the masses of flowers). re: Journal.... yeah. I thought I would like the pocket Hand Book better than the Moleskine sketchbook. Not so much. The paper, though having more tooth, is too thin for watercolor.
    --Kate

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...