Monday, September 25, 2023

Still Growing

 

9/16/23 Maple Leaf neighborhood

Last October, Kate and I sketched Maple Leaf’s biggest pumpkin at the neighborhood’s most exciting event of the year. The two neighbors who had a friendly pumpkin competition then are growing more this year. With Halloween still more than a month away, the biggest one, Jack Skellington, already weighs 775 pounds! According to a sign nearby, Jack was planted on May 19 and pollinated on July 7. I plan to sketch him again at his peak, but on a recent walk, I decided Jack was already worth sketching.

As I sketched, the intoxicating scent of ripe grapes from the nearby vine filled the air. I heard rustling among the grape leaves, and a tiny mouse poked its head out. It was such a delightfully fall-ish scene that I embraced it fully with no remaining bittersweetness about summer’s end. Of course, it helped to be sketching in a T-shirt when it was 67 and sunny.

By the way, as any self-respecting pumpkin is, Jack Skellington is on Instagram.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sketching this. I'm going to miss most of the pumpkin hysteria while we are away. It will be fun to see how they approach the season in Venice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they do Halloween in Venice?? If they do, I'm sure you will sketch it! ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...