Sunday, July 30, 2023

More Light on Dark

 

5/14/23 photo reference

Back in May when I was somewhat obsessed with working light-on-dark with colored pencils and colored papers, I had been saving sketches in a folder with the good intention of gathering the many thoughts I was having at the time into a coherent post. Then the whole month of June was taken over by direct watercolor, and then July was too warm and sunny to think about dark papers. And then instead of becoming coherent, the thoughts I was having at the time disintegrated into muddle. Well, you know what they say about good intentions and where they lead to.

In any case, I didn’t want to forget about posting the rest of these light-on-dark studies, the process of which I’m still intrigued by. I’ll probably return to making them in the dark of winter when I can use more of my golden hour reference photos to work from.

5/9/23 photo reference

5/8/23 Earthsworld reference photo


5/6/23 Earthsworld reference photo

5/11/23 Maple Leaf neighborhood (on location)

5/11/23 Maple Leaf neighborhood (on location)

6 comments:

  1. These are great to see. I'm especially impressed with the portraits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those portraits really pop! So atmospheric, like faces just emerging from the shadows. Anne HwH

    ReplyDelete
  3. The treatment of light in the first sketch is SO nice! I have been catching up on your blog and was very happy to see these. The 5/6/23 portrait also has a very strong mood. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...