Friday, July 28, 2023

Just Peachy

 

7/26/23 Peachy in Maple Leaf

Although they would be neck-and-neck with strawberries, peaches may be my favorite summer fruit. Since I refuse to buy fruit that came on a truck from California or Mexico the rest of the year, I can get local peaches only for a few weeks each summer. Like strawberries and sakura blossoms, they are fleeting seasonal jewels.

I’ve sometimes blogged about Metropolitan Market’s Peach-o-Rama peaches (available right now), which are the best I’ve ever eaten, but I rarely sketch those peaches because they don’t last long in our kitchen before we breathe them down. In recent weeks, however, I’ve been watching peaches grow on a nearby neighbor’s sidewalk tree. Although the tree has been there for years, it hasn’t always grown fruit as abundantly as this year. We must have had just the right spring conditions of temperature and rain. Not yet ripe, they are just beginning to show a pink blush, so I stopped one morning to sketch one.

Although I was tempted to eat one, I’m perfectly happy with just a sketch. And now, off to Metropolitan Market!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent sketch and excellent attitude of buying local produce in season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to buy local as well, but I haven't seen many local peaches this year. People have been complaining about what we do have being hard and tasteless, but the ones I got were delicious and juicy after leaving them on the counter a bit. I love donut peaches but I haven't seen any at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky if you can get local donut peaches! I don't think I've seen those grown locally.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...