Wednesday, July 19, 2023

A Long Sketchwait

7/14/23 Miata in a bad place.

 

I was still sitting inside the car when I sketched this,
waiting for a status report from the auto service club.
Backing my car out of the garage last week to roll the recycle bin out, the clutch felt weird and took several tries to engage. The same thing happened putting the ‘96 Miata back into the garage. I called my usual maintenance shop in the neighborhood for an emergency appointment the next day.

Chuck’s Auto is less than a mile away, but I barely got two blocks. I pulled over as safely as I could – right next to a hydrant – and had a long sketchwait for a tow (a regular tow could have come much earlier, but Miatas need a flatbed). More than three hours later, a flatbed tow finally showed up to take my baby away.

The diagnosis was that the clutch cylinders needed replacement. Not as expensive as I had feared! Now she’s (almost) as good as new.

The last time I sketched a portrait of my Miata was in 2016 for her 20th birthday. I know she’s got more years ahead!

Have you ever taken the time to observe icons on garbage bins? Neither had I. I like this one -- clear and readable as an image.


When the tow finally arrived, it took only minutes to load her up and take her away. These sketches were nearly blind contours as I worked as quickly as I could.


7/18/23 Top down and ready for action again!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you have her back and running well. It was great that you were able to sketch while waiting...otherwise wait time goes so slowly. Love the sketch of the garbage bins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relieved to have my baby back in the middle of top-down season!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...