Sunday, July 18, 2021

Real Change

7/17/21 Yemane Berhe selling Real Change

“Copy? Have a nice day.”

I recognized the quiet voice. Way back in 2013, I first sketched this seller of the Real Change newspaper, whom I remember for his distinctive cadence (even when most of his face is shrouded by a hoodie). I’ve seen him now and then around town since then, and yesterday he was at the U-District Farmers Market. It was an opportunity to sketch Yemane Berhe again.

Real Change is a voice for low-income and homeless people and an advocate for economic, social and racial justice. Part of its mission is to provide jobs such as selling the newspaper. Two dollars isn’t much, but it’s a small way to support independent journalism with values that I agree with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...