Saturday, December 26, 2015

Like Spray Paint

12/25/15 Infinite Painter
Last night before settling down for the evening, we went out for a drive in the neighboring areas to see the Christmas lights. The temperature was in the 30s (as it still is today), so I didn’t have the courage to get out of the car, but I got Greg to park for a few minutes so I could try sketching a lighted tree with my tablet. As clumsy as my stylus felt, the subject matter seemed ideal for digital sketching – a lighted object in the dark. Last year when we watched the Christmas shipsI had tried it with traditional toned (black) paper and opaque gel pens, but I wasn’t happy with the results. I’m not exactly thrilled with last night’s attempt either, but it’s not bad for a first try at sketching a tree in the dark. I also used a different app this time – Infinite Painter – which I like much better than Autodesk Sketchbook.

This morning I tried again, this time with a still life. With my primitive stylus, which feels like sketching with a chunk of ice that slides all over the tablet surface, I realize it’s much easier to paint rather than draw (which I’d been attempting previously). Again, I’m not thrilled with my result – no matter which tool I chose, it felt like using spray paint with a really huge nozzle – but I’m having more fun now because I’ve accepted my stylus as a paint brush rather than a fountain pen.
12/26/15 Infinite Painter

It’s like using any medium: You have to use the appropriate tool. Until I get a better stylus (which doesn’t seem to exist for Android?), I’m OK with digital painting instead of drawing.

2 comments:

  1. I think your fruit still life came out well! Great idea to use the tablet for a night sketch. That's probably one of the good things about them since they are lit and you can see without looking for pencils, or colors. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should try paper by 53, even if you borrow an iPad to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...