Monday, August 3, 2015

An Afternoon at the Zoo

8/3/15 ink
By this point in the summer, I normally would have visited Woodland Park Zoo several times, but for whatever reason, it’s been off my radar this year. I had heard that the temperature would only get up to about 80 today (instead of 90 the last couple weeks), so it was a good day to spend some quality time with animals.

Although the sketch doesn’t look like much, I was especially tickled to catch the Asian small-clawed otters all piled up in a community nap. Every other time I’ve seen them, they were chasing each other like squirrels – impossible to sketch! The two-toed sloth was another animal I’d never sketched before (my goal is to sketch every type of animal at Woodland Park at least once).

8/3/15 ink, colored pencil
Whenever I get frustrated by animals that walk off before I can finish, I take a walk through the Family Farm petting zoo, where the goats and sheep are usually lethargically chewing cud – probably the easiest of all zoo critters to sketch. And although I’ve sketched the hippo several times before, she’s impossible to resist.










8/3/15 inks

8/3/15 inks

8/3/15 inks

3 comments:

  1. Sketching animals is such fun...especially if they cooperate and pose. I just love the hippo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your zoo series. Animals do get up and leave when they feel like it. Great way of developing keen observation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful sketches. Sketching in a zoo looks to be a wonderful experience. Wish we had one here. --- Larry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...