Sunday, June 7, 2015

France Sketchbook Complete

My France sketchbook is bound!
Only eight days after returning from France, my sketchbook from that trip is bound and complete! That’s a personal speed record for me in binding a travel sketchbook! Although I don’t always get around to it that quickly, I’m motivated by the need for the sense of completion I feel from having the sketchbook bound. It’s like getting all the dirty clothes from a trip unpacked and laundered, and all that’s left are the wonderful memories to savor.

On the front cover are a map of France and a favorite image of Sarlat that I cut from a postcard. On the back cover are a map of Arles and a picture of Montparnasse Tower in Paris cut from a brochure. I like the juxtaposed contrast between Arles’ ancient history and the glassy, contemporary tour.

My April-May sketchbook
While I had my book-binding tools out, I also bound the last six signatures I finished before I left for France – my April - May sketchbook. On the front cover is the Smith Tower with construction of 200 Occidental. On the back cover is a fellow at Zoka Coffee, where I took my “grail” Sailor fude pen on its maiden voyage.

3 comments:

  1. Great sketchbooks, Tina. Your draw in signatures and then bind them approach is still the best I've seen. Only laziness keeps me from doing this. I did go a different direction that seems to be working out. I remove the spiral from S&B sketchbooks and replace them with a couple snap rings (Steven Reddy's idea). Then I can either sketch in the book or pull pages out, attaching them to a board while I draw. Makes scanning easy and really lightens the load for larger formats, allowing me to carry just a few sheets rather than the entire sketchbook. Still, your signature approach is calling to me, at least for smaller formats.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...