Friday, March 27, 2015

Overwhelmed Again at the Museum of Flight

3/27/15 DeAtramentis Document Brown and Diamine Grey inks, watercolor, Canson XL 140 lb. paper

Every time I visit the Museum of Flight, I imagine that it will be easier and less overwhelming than the last time, but somehow, that never comes true. (My very first time was with the Friday Seattle Urban Sketchers more than two years ago.) This morning with the Friday sketchers was no different. As soon as I walked into the enormous Great Gallery, I wandered around in a daze, trying to simplify the view – any view – enough to sketch it.

3/27/15 DeAtramentis Black Edition Blue ink, Caran d'Ache Museum pencils
After quite a while, I caught a glimpse of a Lockheed SR71 Blackbird and a couple of other stealthy-looking fighter planes between the wings of a Boeing 801-A (1929). That one sketch took me more than an hour – much longer than I usually take for any one sketch just because I had to keep talking myself out of putting in more!

After that lengthy sketch, I had only a few minutes before the meetup, so I went out to the main entrance area. Above the line of people waiting to get in was a reproduction of Leonardo DaVinci’s Il Cigno, a human-powered ornithopter.

After sharing sketches and having lunch al fresco, a few of us stayed behind for a little more sketching. The day had warmed up nicely, so I went back out to the café’s outdoor seating area to sketch Air Force One and a 787 Dreamliner in the Airpark.

Many thanks to Museum of Flight volunteer Kate Buike for sponsoring today’s USk sketchout!

3/27/15 DeAtramentis Document Brown ink, watercolor, Museum pencil

4 comments:

  1. LOL I love that you had to talk yourself out of putting in more. You did a great job of simplifying and still giving enough info for your subject to read well. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am impressed, Tina. Two thumbs up for you and your perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You put in the right amount to your drawings - lovely sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I turned green with envy when I read about your trip to the aviation museum. Airplanes are a passion of mine, somewhat diminished because I live in Quebec City and there isn't much to see but I'm sure I own a couple hundred aviation books. I got to spend three hours in the Canadian aviation museum and really enjoyed sketching a couple of the aircraft. Hope to get back there 'real soon.'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...