Friday, March 6, 2015

Star Wars Costumes at EMP

3/6/15 various inks, Zig markers, Kuretake brush pen,
Canson XL 140 lb. paper
I admit I’m not what one would call a full-on Star Wars geek. Although I’ve seen the first (episode IV) film dozens of times and the other five several times each, I can’t name all the characters and their vehicles or recite all their lines from memory. Just the same, it was nothing less than thrilling to spend the morning sketching at “Star Wars and the Power of Costumes,” a limited-engagement exhibition at the Experience Music Project.

First of all, the costumes were stunning to see up close – the beautiful detailing, tiny handwork and lush fabrics. You might glimpse them in the films for only a few minutes or even seconds, but at the exhibit, all the details were there to fully appreciate. And then there was all that music playing as I sketched, evoking the scenes from the films. (So what if I own all the soundtrack albums, and I play them fairly regularly in the background of my day-to-day life.)

Finally, it was simply fun to overhear various conversations, like kids exasperatingly correcting their parents on Star Wars facts they got wrong. Or this factoid I learned about Darth Vader: The costume I sketched was worn by Hayden Christensen in episode III, not David Prowse (the original Vader). “You can tell because he was shorter,” said the visitor I overheard.

Ah, there’s nothing like sketching when the Force is with you.

3/6/15 various inks, Caran d'Ache Museum colored pencils
3/6/15 various inks, Museum pencils
3/6/15 various inks, Museum pencil
3/6/15 various inks, Museum pencils
More than 60 costumes were in the exhibit. Here are a few photos of the many other costumes I wished Id had time to sketch.




3 comments:

  1. Great job! I can see why it was hard to choose. I am really liking your overhead views lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The force was definitely with you sketching these. Nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those would definitely be fun to sketch. --- Larry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...