Thursday, March 19, 2015

Mossy

3/19/15 DeAtramentis Document Brown and Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun inks,
watercolor, Caran d'Ache Museum colored pencils, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
Since an errand had brought me to the Capitol Hill neighborhood this afternoon, my intention afterwards was to head for Lake View Cemetery, where some large cherry trees stand. But on my way, I was stopped short by a whole block of trees that looked like this – cut off into multi-pronged stumps and covered with moss. I’ve occasionally seen trees like this in other areas, though usually not so many together. But Capitol Hill is home to some of Seattle’s oldest trees, so it’s not surprising to find some that have suffered disease. Whatever befell them, they are now a thriving habitat for moss, so it’s nice that they weren’t cut down all the way.

By the time I got to the cemetery, the clouds had turned dark and foreboding, and sure enough, it began to rain. 

1 comment:

  1. The remains of these trees have such character...what a shame to have lost them. I can see why you were forced to stop there. Nice sketch!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...