Saturday, October 11, 2014

Star Wars Reads at Museum of Flight

10/11/14 various inks, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
When Kate invited Natalie and me to sketch at the Museum of Flight, which was hosting a Star Wars Reads event, I jumped at the chance! After all, how often does one have the opportunity to sketch historic planes and Darth Vader at the same time? Possibly in the same sketch??

It turned out to be a lot more difficult than I had anticipated. The planes stay still, of course, and I’ve had other opportunities to sketch them at the museum during previous visits. But Darth Vader and the other characters kept walking around, and the kids surrounding them at all times would pose for photos for no more than a second or two. Challenging sketching, indeed!

10/11/14 various inks

I did manage to capture Princess Leia cutting out Yoda ears for the kids, a few young Jedis practicing their light saber techniques, a Tusken Raider hamming next to the Wright brothers’ plane, and a most impressive R2-D2. “The man behind the curtain,” who built the amazingly realistic ‘droid, would stand at a distance, his hands behind his back discreetly operating R2 with a radio control.

Alas, I never did get a sketch of the elusive Darth Vader, whom I also missed at a previous opportunity. Ah, well – one must have goals.

10/11/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Take-sumi ink, Caran d'Ache Museum water-soluble
colored pencil
10/11/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Take-sumi ink
Jedi librarian Jocasta Nu (AKA urban sketcher Kate Buike) at left, along with
Leia, R2 and other Jedi and Imperial representatives.
The ever-popular Darth was everywhere, yet somehow managed to elude my sketchbook.

2 comments:

  1. What a fun event to attend! Love the sketches especially Princess Leia cutting out the ears. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Love the sketches, Tina. This must have been a fun evening. I would have stuck with the airplanes, myself, as I haven't been to an air museum in quite a while.

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...