Saturday, November 16, 2013

. . . and the Party Continues at the Smith Tower

11/16/13 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor, Fabriano hot press
Yesterday I began celebrating my birthweekend (why settle for a day when you can have the whole weekend?) by sketching the 38-story Smith Tower from the top of the Columbia Center. After Greg took me out for brunch this morning at the Dahlia Lounge, we were nearby the Smith Tower, so we went up to the Chinese Room observation deck near its top (the very top is a private residence). And guess what I sketched from there? The Columbia Center, of course! (In literature, I think that’s called parallelism. I don’t know what it’s called in art, but I like it.)

The Chinese Room is called that because, according to legend, it was furnished by gifts from the last Empress of China. The ornate décor includes bronze sculptures like this lion I sketched. 
11/16/13 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Sailor pen Canson XL 140 lb. paper

1 comment:

  1. It is my personal opinion that birthdays should be celebrated for more than a day, and if people are willing to take you out (or give you gifts) all the better! Nice sketch of the building, but I am most impressed with your sketch of the bronze sculpture. Nice!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...