Wednesday, September 9, 2026

The Caran d’Ache Elephant in the Room

 

The elephant in the room

Oooh, new colors of Caran d’Ache Neocolor II crayons!

Hmmm . . . it’s going to be difficult to get further than that without addressing the elephant in the room, so let’s get on with that. I’m sure you’ve heard the kerfuffle by now, as it’s very old news:

Nearly a year ago, Caran d’Ache released 15 new “special edition” colors of Neocolor II water-soluble wax pastels to celebrate the popular product’s 50th anniversary. The Swiss company packaged the new colors within five anniversary sets mixed in with standard colors. If you wanted all 15 of the new colors, you would have to buy all five sets, each containing three new colors and seven standard colors.

Released in autumn 2025, the Neocolor II 50th anniversary special edition included 15 new colors -- three in each of five sets.

In response to many, many inquiries and comments on social media, Cd’A reps responded that the new colors would not be released as a set containing only the new colors, nor would they be available open stock. Consumer outrage, disappointment and anger ensued.

Despite my vast downsizing, I have made judicious decisions to retain products I enjoy using. I still “collect” certain products for their “specialness” (like anniversary editions), not for their potential resale later but just because it’s fun, and I still use them. It’s a hobby.

The "Lush" set is my favorite in the anniversary release.
OK, I admit I’m also a “completionist” who wants all the colors of a favorite product, but let’s not split hairs. I did wait long enough for Blick to stock the 50th anniversary sets, and I bought all five. (I did intend to blog about them at some point, but that’s the part I’ve become less interested in as I’ve worked on downsizing. I photographed the sets when they were new, then forgot about reviewing them.)

Meanwhile, as I observed the drama unfolding in the art supply community, I was a bit surprised that others were so appalled by Caran d’Ache’s new mixed sets. The packaging decision may have been questionable, but I wasn’t surprised. I also did not in the least expect that they would release the new colors open stock. They never did with the “limited edition” colors in the Supracolor 30th anniversary set, nor with the 2024 “special edition” set of 18 Supracolor colors that weren’t even tied to a special occasion. Maybe I’m cynical because I used to work in marketing, but all of their marketing shenanigans just make me shrug. And I willingly open my wallet because I love and use many of their products (especially Neocolor IIs the past couple of years).

All of that was last fall. Fast-forward to a month ago, when the plot thickened: Caran d’Ache released a whole new “Botanic” set containing only and all 15 of the “special edition” colors, just as consumers had been demanding! (Notably, the set is not being marketed as a 50th anniversary edition.) Those who had been pleading with Cd’A to do just that were overjoyed. Those who had begrudgingly purchased the five anniversary sets were newly outraged: They had been deceived and lied to by the evil Swiss company!

This summer's "Botanic" release includes all 15 of the new colors.

With a career in marketing, I feel some empathy for the reps who had responded to pleading consumers with the company’s position at that time.* Did they withhold information about their plans to release this year’s set as a deliberately deceptive “money grab”? I’m not sure I would give Cd’A that much conniving credit. At the time, they probably intended the five anniversary sets to be the end of the new colors. When they saw an opportunity for a new package, they made one. That’s what marketing is.

Another thing about the Botanic set that raised ire and (understandable) frustration is that it was available only from Caran d’Ache’s websites, which are in numerous countries, including the US, but not worldwide. Customers in some countries without dedicated Cd’A sites were not able to purchase the Botanic set.

In the interest of Neocolor geekery, shown from top are changes in Neocolor branding: The first is from my oldest bunch, probably at least 10 years old; the next two are from the special edition colors (note that they lack a barcode -- a sign that open stock will not be offered); the final two are regular stock with the current branding, which is the same as the special edition branding but includes a barcode.

I only found out about the Botanic set when a couple of YouTube videos happened to pop up on my feed saying that they had gotten it from the US Cd’A site. By the time I got there, it was sold out, so I inquired about more stock. I was told that it would be restocked imminently, but once that supply sold out, it would not be restocked in the US. (I grabbed mine there a few weeks ago after the second restock.) I also inquired at Blick and Goldspot, two sites where I have gotten Caran d’Ache “limited edition” products in the past, and both said they would not be stocking it.

At the same time that the Botanic set was released, Caran d’Ache also released two other packages for the new colors: a “Twilight” set and a “Landscape” set. Each containing 10 of the 15 new colors, the two sets combined would get you all 15 colors (with some overlap). These had been available on the US site longer than the Botanic set, but apparently they have sold out, too, as now I see them only on the Swiss site.

The limited availability didn’t surprise me, either, as I’ve seen Caran d’Ache release other limited edition products only on their own sites or only in Europe. It’s disappointing, but not unexpected.

Anyway, there’s the elephant. Now, can we get on to the new colors?

Neocolor II special edition colors swatched in Hahnemuhle student-grade watercolor sketchbook

“Botanic” is a bit of a misnomer; I think “Floral” would be a better name, as the set includes only one green. That green, though, Aucuba Green, is one I really like, and I have been using it in my daily-carry lately (for example, it’s the main green in the two sketches in this post).

When I first purchased the anniversary sets last winter, I was thinking Peach Blossom, Tyrian Pink and Rose of Garance would be fun to use during Sakura season. Unfortunately, I had kept them in their anniversary tin and not my general Neocolor box, so I forgot to use them last spring. I have since put all the new colors into my general storage box, and I’m looking forward to using those pinks next spring.

Caput Mortuum (what a horrible name – Google it – for any color, although I do like the hue) and Garnet are too similar to be together in a such a small set. Certainly either could have been replaced by a dark green in a set called Botanic. In general, I think the Neocolor II line could use more greens. (I would especially like to see the addition of Dark Phthalocyanine Green [719] from the Museum Aquarelle line; I’ve used more singles of that green than any other Museum color.)

I used to think I didn’t have much use for the many pastels in the Neocolor II line, but ever since I discovered how opaque they are, I’ve found that the lighter tints are fun to use in Uglybooks. I’ve been making it standard practice to swatch Neocolors on dark paper as well as white to check opacity.

Most of the new colors swatched in black Stillman & Birn Nova sketchbook

I took the new colors to Lighthouse Roasters in Fremont to make a sketch across the street. Last winter, you may recall the wacky palette” experiments I made using hues only as values and ignoring local colors. All the pastels in the new set put me in the mood to try that again (below). It was fun and informative, and I’ve made a mental note to do more of those experiments soon.

9/5/26 Fremont neighborhood

* Back when I worked for a major tech corporation, I said things to clients that probably were seen later as less than true. Although I didn’t feel good when the positioning was changed later to make the initial claims seem deceptive, I don’t believe the intention of the initial positioning was to deceive customers. That kind of change happens often in marketing. That’s why I left the company fairly soon after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...