![]() |
| Mixing for the unique 719 pencil |
When I was discussing the colors in the Caran d’Ache Neocolor II Botanic set, I mentioned that one I’d really like to see added
to the line is Dark Phthalocyanine Green (719) from the Museum Aquarelle pencil line. In these parts, that dark, cool green is useful for
both fir trees and for the shadow side of most deciduous trees. I have used up
more sticks of 719 than any other Museum Aquarelles. And I have never found it in any other colored pencil.
Why don’t I simply continue using Museum Aquarelle 719? Of course, that’s the easiest and most straightforward solution. But often when I’m using that color, I need a large mass that I want to scribble in quickly and efficiently. Neocolors are usually better for this. Whether still true when mixing two crayons remains to be seen, but it’s worth the experiment.
At the top of my color journal page, you’ll see “MA 719,” the Museum Aquarelle color I was trying to mix. I began by picking out most of the Neo II yellows and some blue candidates. The darkest cool blues seemed to be the closest match in the combos I tried. The combo I decided I liked best is Night Blue (149) with Yellow (020). You can see the blended swatches to the right of the MA 719 swatch.
I didn’t think the red-leaning blues would work, and I was right – the mixes were all too gray or too brown (in the lower right and lower left corners). But I liked the resulting gray when I mixed Yellow (020) with Royal Blue (130). I’ll keep that combo in my back pocket if I need a shadow gray (though usually I’m too lazy to mix shadow colors and go straight to a dark blue or purple).
I’ve removed the Dark Phthalocyanine Green pencil from my bag so that I won’t fall back on it in laziness! I want to give Night Blue + Yellow crayons a fair trial. Stay tuned.



No comments:
Post a Comment