Monday, September 21, 2026

That Ambivalent State (Plus My 15th Year)

 

9/17/26 Green Lake

When I can see and sketch color at every turn, I know it’s full-on leaf-peeping season. We’re not there yet. Although some Japanese maples are way ahead of the game (as they usually are), most trees are in that ambivalent state: The lush greens of summer have faded, replaced by hints of golden yellow. The south-facing leaves of other trees are barely blushing red-orange, and I have to restrain myself from going in hard with the bright colors I want to see.

I’m not impatient, though. These neither-here-nor-there hues are just as lovely to see and try to capture, especially during this amazingly beautiful September we’ve been having.

By the way, today is the 15th anniversary of the day I began drawing. That’s a significant milestone, and I intended to write something profound, insightful or at least witty to commemorate the day. But drawing has been an integral part of my life for so long now that it would be like commemorating the 15th year since I started drinking water or breathing air. No fanfare; I’ll just go on sketching.

Edited 9/21/26 8:26 a.m. OK, maybe just a bit of fanfare 😉. I dug up this sketch from Day 1, Sept. 21, 2011, for social media, so I'll put it here, too.

9/21/11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...