Friday, September 25, 2026

Fremont Chestnut Tree

 

9/21/26 European chestnut tree, Fremont neighborhood

A ginormous European chestnut tree grows in Fremont that is a marvel of nature. Decades ago, a fire hydrant was installed in the sidewalk with presumably plenty of space between it and the tree. Now the roots are growing around the hydrant like it’s just a minor inconvenience! Right now the leaves are still green, and it’s full of fuzzy, green chestnuts that I understand will eventually be the kind that are tasty to roast and eat.

The man who lives in the house behind the chestnut came out to rake. Although the tree still has most of its leaves, I can imagine what a huge job it would be to keep up with them once they start falling.

I first learned about this street tree, the widest-diameter chestnut in Seattle, from Taha Ebrahimi’s book, Street Trees of Seattle, which I used as a guide for sketching many street trees a couple of years ago. A recent Instagram post from Taha reminded me of it, and when she showed photos of the roots wrapped around the hydrant, I knew I had to sketch it. My sketches feel puny, though; I’d need paper four times as large to capture even a part of its crown.

How big would my paper have to be to capture this whole tree!

How annoying. . . like a seed stuck between teeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...