Sunday, July 14, 2024

Wilty

 

7/9/24 Inktense Blocks in Hahnemuhle 100% cotton sketchbook

A lovely bouquet from a vendor at the Edmonds Summer Market last week was too tempting to pass up, but my timing wasn’t great: We still had several days left to our heatwave. With the house so hot, these poor flowers started wilting prematurely (and I know the feeling). I was planning to sketch them out on my shady back deck, but even that was too hot last Tuesday (it got up to the mid-90s). The petals might have been all over the table and floor by the next day, so it was now or never.

The bouquet gave me a much-needed color fix, and Inktense Blocks gave me a looseness fix that I didn’t even know I needed until I smooshed those blocks around on wet paper.

As I sketched, I thought of Inma Serrano’s workshop in Barcelona during my first USk Symposium. After sketching the fun part of a Gothic building, I kiddingly griped to her that I didn’t want to draw the rest. She replied, “Then don’t! Draw only what you want to!” In 2013, it was a mind-blowing moment. Still thanking Inma for liberating me 11 years ago, I sketched the flowers and skipped the vase.

2 comments:

  1. I think that is a great way to approach a scene...draw only what you want to! I like the looseness to this and the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was fun to go loose after all the graphical looking comics I've been drawing lately.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...