Thursday, May 16, 2024

Aurora Borealis from Photos

 

5/13/24 Aurora Borealis over Seattle (reference photos by Jeff Chin)

The conditions on Saturday night apparently weren’t ideal; most people in my area were not able to see the Aurora Borealis. I wanted to try again Sunday night, but then the clouds came in. Although I was disappointed not to be able to see or sketch it from life, I still had the color palette that I had assembled for Saturday’s attempt. I decided I might as well sketch it anyway, inspired by all the beautiful photos friends had shared online. I was especially impressed by photos taken by Jeff Chin (he’s the friend whose photos of rescued dogs had inspired my pet portrait fundraising project). While many friends had captured the AB colors, Jeff had captured the stars behind the colors!

Making this sketch from reference photos wasn’t quite the same as viewing and sketching live, but it will have to do until the Aurora shows up another time (or perhaps I’ll have to go to Iceland for a better show).

A palette of Caran d'Ache Luminance, Derwent Lightfast and Prismacolor pencils, all among my most opaque colored pencils.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...