Thursday, April 27, 2023

Review: Kitaboshi 6-3-4 Pencil Sharpener

 

The Kitaboshi 6-3-4 pencil sharpener

When it comes to my larger-barreled pencils that are hard to fit, I’ve mostly resigned myself to the portable sharpeners I already use. They aren’t great, but they accommodate my favorite Caran d’Ache Museum Aquarelles, and they do the job when I’m in the field and need to sharpen before I get home. So although I’m not actively looking for alternatives, if a sharpener fits the Museum’s 8.3mm diameter barrel, I’m always curious. The Kitaboshi 6-3-4 sharpener not only fits; it has an unusual two-step process that seemed worth a look.

With a cute cubic shape, the 6-3-4 is a bit bulky to carry. I had difficulty photographing it, but the top view shows three sides of the lid with each having a pair of holes – one marked 1 and the other 2. The three sides accommodate pencil barrels of 7mm, 8mm and 10mm.

Each of three sides has holes for the 2 stages of sharpening.

The lid with holes comes off. Rotate it and place the desired holes so that they align with the sharpeners. Shavings fall neatly into the compartment below. It’s a compact, elegant design (as we’d fully expect from a Japanese stationery maker). The instructions are entirely in Japanese, but the images seemed clear enough.

Sharpener with lid removed. Shavings are stored neatly below.


Instructions in Japanese only.

Since I had an unsharpened Berol Prismacolor, I thought it would be a good one to start with: A standard-size barrel and medium-thick core. I chose the middle-size stage 1 hole, which shaved off only the wood in a cylindrical fashion.

Fresh Berol Prismacolor ready for sharpening.


Stage 1 sharpening

Stage 1 complete

Next I put the Prismacolor into the stage 2 hole, which sharpened the exposed wood into the expected conical shape. The point was blunt, which isn’t bad for colored pencil use, but the exposed core is a bit short if one likes to sometimes use the side of a colored core as I do. It was a clean sharpening.

Stage 2 complete

Next I tried an all-important Museum Aquarelle, already sharpened, which fit in the largest hole. I sharpened it at stage 1 longer than I did on the Prismacolor, wondering if that would affect the point. It took down quite a bit of wood, but when I put it into stage 2, the conical section is the same length as the Prismacolor (and I’m left with a bizarre-looking collar), and the point length is the same.

Previously sharpened Museum Aquarelle ready for sharpening.

Stages 1 and 2 complete. An "interesting" collar.

Finally I tried an unsharpened standard-size Tombow Mono R graphite pencil. I obviously used stage 1 too long, because I got the same goofy-looking result. Even if the blunt point were acceptable to me for writing (it isn’t), the core exposure is too short for drawing.




Well, that’s $15 I would have preferred to have wasted on a hat that looks like a pizza. If you like blunt, short points and potentially ridiculous collars, let me know. I’ll send you the Kitaboshi.

By the way, if you’re wondering what the “6-3-4” signifies, based on the packaging image, it indicates that the sharpener will take pencils with hexagonal, triangular and even square barrels.



I wish I had bought the pizza hat instead.

10 comments:

  1. I almost bought this a couple days ago--glad I stayed my hand! Thanks for the review. The sharpened result is certainly odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very odd... and now I have to look at it until it's ready to sharpen again! LOL!

      Delete
  2. What an odd look to the sharpened pencils! This was different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one came out OK, but I obviously sharpened too far on the others! LOL!

      Delete
  3. Tina takes one for the team! Again! Thank you for thoroughly testing and evaluating this product so the rest of us can spend our money on questionable hats. 😅 Anne HwH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when you get the hat! Pics or it didn't happen! 😅

      Delete
  4. Where did you buy this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you click the link on the product name, you'll go to it -- Yoseka Stationery. I've also seen it on Amazon.

      Delete
  5. Well, these days a sharpener has to be different, since it seems most if not all possibilities exists. This one is different…but not in a good way. I think those colors would haunt me enough to take the pencil to my AFMAT so I don’t have to look at the alien looking tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha!! Yeah, I sharpened mine up back to "normal" immediately. ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...