Friday, December 2, 2022

Nocturne Season Has Begun

11/28/22 5:22 p.m., Maple Leaf neighborhood
 

If history is bound to repeat itself, then the family across the street is not finished yet. Right on cue, they began the day after Thanksgiving with the lights you see here. My bet is that many (too many) more decorations will be added on the next dry weekend. I sketched it early this week to catch it at this stage while I still like it (the candy canes are a nice addition). 

In the past, I’ve sketched most nocturnes at pre-dawn when house interiors are still dark. Unlike in previous years, however, this family has been turning off most of the lights overnight (maybe one of the neighbors complained about the brightness), so I sketched this one in the early evening. It was nice to get some of the interior light this time.

Material notes: I’m still using the same night sketch kit that I put together last year – mostly white and whiteish colored pencils, a white Sakura Gelly Roll, some Kuretake Zig Fudebiyori metallic brush pens and the all-important Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Book Light. I kept the kit together after nocturne season was over, so it was an easy grab-and-go when I was ready for it this year. I’ve also added a few Cretacolor MegaColor Metallic Pencils this year, though I’m not sure how I’ll use them. Usually colored pencils for interior and reflected illumination plus the Gelly Roll for bright lights and metallic illumination are enough. But bling is made for the holidays! Bring it!

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! You seem to have the right materials to make the nocturnes work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If I were more of a night person, I'd go out in my car in the evening and sketch more holiday lights!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...