Thursday, June 2, 2022

Spring Skyscapitos

 

2/24/22 sunset and 2/26/22 sunrise

The last time I blogged about my skyscapitos, it was back in February when it was still easy to sketch sunrise colors. Since then, the sun has been coming up too early for me, but I’ve managed to catch a few sunsets. Timewise, it should be easier to catch sunsets than sunrises, but I guess I’m occupied with other things in the evening, and I don’t think about the sky as much.

It’s interesting to see how the peak color surrounding the dusk sun moves northward as we go from February to May. I wasn’t really aware of this until I started trying to capture that color, and I noticed that different landmarks show up in the foreground of my sketches at different times of year.

3/2 and 3/6/22 sunrises
4/21/22 sunset

5/19/22 sunset

5/15/22 lunar eclipse

Although not the prettiest sketch, my most exciting skyscapito occurred on May 15. It had been overcast and raining all evening, so I had given up trying to look for the lunar eclipse. At 10:40 p.m. as I was getting ready for bed, I looked out the livingroom window one last time, and there it was – an opening in the clouds that gave me a clear view, just for a moment: The tail-end shadow of the earth passing over the moon.




5/25/22 sunset


4 comments:

  1. Sunsets are easier to capture since they are at a more reasonable time of day. lol My father's policy was if God had wanted him to see a sunrise he would have made it happen later in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first picture drawn in space was a colored pencil skyscapito! Look this up and you can see the old box of pencils that flew to space, too, which I imagine you would enjoy, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I just looked it up!! I had no idea there was such a historic use of colored pencils! :-) Thank you for letting me know about this, Veronica!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...