Thursday, December 2, 2021

Drizzly Crown Hill

 

11/26/21 Crown Hill neighborhood

Compared to the “rainbow avenue” I tried a couple of days ago, using a secondary triad to sketch this street was much easier. It’s still a color temperature study, but with only orange, purple and green, it was easier for my pea brain to manage non-literal hues. The coolest areas were assigned purple; the warmest, orange. Green was used to cool or warm the other two in either direction, and using all three together gave me neutrals. I used to do this kind of “codifying” with colors a few years ago when I was using limited palettes, but back then I was studying values, not color temperature.

With a model, I had difficulty using a secondary triad, but with this otherwise dreary, drizzly scene in the Crown Hill neighborhood, it was exciting to use color where there really wasn’t much. Suddenly winter sketching is going to be a lot more fun, especially with my pea brain on fire.

P.S. This was my first mobile studio field test of the Tombow pencil roll (I like to call it my pencil sandwich). Simple and straightforward, it suits my winter sketching style just fine. Maybe I’m a roll gal after all!

2 comments:

  1. I really find this triad most interesting for outdoors! I would never have considered it, although I must say, I’ve used this triad in one of my perennial beds, and it’s quite stunning. What purple did you use? I am wondering about the accuracy of its hue on my screen. It appears very muted, or did you mute it? Quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm having fun with this triad. It's actually a saturated violet, but I mixed it with the other hues to mute it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...