Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Paper and Fiber at the Nordic Museum

12/3/21 National Nordic Museum
 

Winter is usually when we enjoy visiting museums. Sadly and regrettably, we let most of our memberships lapse last year and sorely missed our visits. We recently re-upped, hoping to resume some normalcy in the coming months. For our first post-vax venture, we visited the National Nordic Museum, which is currently showing two fascinating exhibitions.

Paper Dialogues: The Dragon and Our Stories is a cross-cultural collaboration of paper cuttings. Beautiful and intricate, the paper cuttings seem almost too delicate to display. The contemporary imagery shows symbols and motifs of modern life combined with historical references. The more closely I looked, the more details I saw in these lace-like works.

M(other) Tongues: Bodhild and Las Hermanas Iglesias is another intriguing collaboration, this time across generations in one family. Mother, daughters and grandson played off each other’s works of knitting and other fiber arts with paintings and photography in an ongoing family dialog.

Instead of sketching large views as I have in the past, I made a few small thumbnail vignettes this time. I’d seen the boat and stained-glass bird during previous visits, but new to me was a small display of Angry Birds. A popular mobile game that I played on my phone for a short while years ago, Angry Birds was made by the Finnish game developer, Supercell.


Lace-like paper cutting

Knitting based on a photo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...