Saturday, June 20, 2020

Selfie Mode

6/14/20

Every now and then I get in the mood to do a self-portrait. Typically, these are “serious” drawings in which I attempt to capture a likeness. This always spells doom, and I’m rarely happy with the results (I’ll show them to you one of these days).

One day after another frustrating attempt, I thought about how easily and quickly I sketch small portraits of other people – why can’t I do that with myself? At left is the result, and I must admit I like this one – pandemic hair and all.

This week USk Japan issued yet another inspiring challenge: Draw using the modified blind contour method, which means keeping your eyes on the subject and avoiding looking at the paper. We can look down at our paper occasionally to regain footing on the drawing, but when we do, we change pen or pencil colors. The changing of colors indicates the path and process we took, which is fascinating to track.

I warmed up with a couple of selfies in front of our full-length mirror (below). I like these better than most selfies I’ve made! 

6/15/20 (modified blind contours)


2 comments:

  1. I like the idea for the modified contour sketches. Fun!! The self portrait looks a lot like you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...