Monday, June 22, 2020

Blind View

6/16/20 Maple Leaf neighborhood (modified blind contour)

The modified blind contour selfies I made were a fun warm-up to the challenge initiated by USk Japan: Make a sketch on location using the same method. Standing on our upstairs deck looking out on this familiar view, the technique gave me a fresh perspective. Each time I lifted the pencil, I looked down at the paper to regain my footing, but changed pencil colors to indicate the path. Although I would be hard-pressed to recognize this view as my neighbors’ houses and trees, I like the stark contrast between the marks indicating the architecture and those of the foliage.  Like the selfies, this sketch was a non-threatening and engaging way to approach a view I’m usually not excited by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...