Saturday, June 6, 2020

A Somber Donut Day

6/5/20 Top Pot Doughnuts, Wedgwood neighborhood

A few weeks ago when Mike Daikubara invited sketchers to sketch a celebration as the #USkTalksChallenge, I immediately thought I’d do mine on National Donut Day, which I look forward to observing every year. I even thought it would be fun to honor Mike by emulating his style of sketching both the food and the location on the same page.

By yesterday when the big day rolled around, however, the nation was mourning George Floyd’s death, and I was in no mood to celebrate. It no longer felt right to celebrate anything. But I’ve been feeling so much sadness and anger lately that I knew donuts would make me feel better . . . so I decided to partake anyway. 

Sketching Top Pot Doughnuts from my mobile studio, I noted that the Wedgwood shop (my favorite, with the funky giant donut on the roof and palm trees in front) was somber compared to most years – no banners, no festive balloons, hardly even a promotion. Still, it was busier than the previous day, when I had stopped in to pick up my donuts (I figured the big day would be too crowded for my comfort). Misery loves sugar and deep-fried fat.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got to partake in a donut. Although I enjoy sweets donuts aren't really something that calls to me...although let me look at a Boston creme for a while and that may change. lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...