Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Losing Ground, Gaining it Back Again

9/13/18 10-min. pose

I hadn’t been to a Gage life drawing session since June. It took me at least the first two hours to feel like my hand and arm had finally warmed up, but even after another hour, I didn’t find my mojo. Whenever I go back to life drawing after a summer hiatus (I can’t bear to draw indoors when the weather is beautiful), I feel rusty for weeks. That’s the way it is with the practice of practice – it has to be continuous.

10-min. pose
















During the spring and summer when I was sketching houses in my neighborhood regularly, I think my architectural drawing skills improved. But now that I can’t sketch outdoors much anymore, I’ll probably be rusty by the time I resume my series again.

I know it’s not possible to practice everything all the time, but after a long break, I wish I could just pick up where I left off. It doesn’t seem to work that way, though. Fortunately, the ground I lose isn’t permanent. The more regularly I go to life drawing, the easier and faster it will be to get back to where I was.

2-min. poses

4 comments:

  1. I find the same thing happens to me. If I haven't done figures it takes so long to get back in the groove...and don't get me started on what happens with portraits. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure portraits are even harder than whole bodies!

      Delete
  2. It's only mid-September and you already started life drawing?! The 2-minute poses look great. I like the loose strokes. I'm going to do some regular classes starting next week, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cold that day, so I went, but we've been having a few really nice and sunny days this week, so I'll probably skip it if it's sunny again tomorrow! ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...