Monday, September 24, 2018

Good Shepherd Center and Wurst Fest

9/22/18 Entertainers at the Great Wallingford Wurst Festival
9/22/18 Good Shepherd Center's veranda

Saturday’s USk sketch outing featured many sketchable attractions at Good Shepherd Center and Meridian Park, including the historic Seattle Landmark building, a playground, gazebo, sculptures and lots of shrouded apple trees protected from insects in this pesticide-free park. Once I arrived, however, I learned that the Great Wallingford Wurst Festival was just a couple of blocks away! I’m not a fan of wurst, but I am a fan of small community festivals (especially “great” ones), so I couldn’t resist.

As Jane and I walked toward St. Benedictine School, where the wurst family event has been held annually for 35 years, the church’s tower called to me as an ideal exercise in graphite. I had my pencil and sketchbook out, ready to go, but then rockabilly music from the festival called to me even more loudly. Forget the tower – I had more fun sketching this group of lively musicians.

After hanging out at the wurst fest longer than I had intended, watching kids win prizes at the flamingo toss and other sports, I hurried back to the Good Shepherd Center. With only 20 minutes until the throwdown, I went out to the back veranda, where the columns cast stripes of shadows in the late-afternoon sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...