Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Scone-Fortified Ballpoint Hatching

2/16/16 ballpoint
The last time I experimented with a ballpoint pen, I didn’t do much hatching, which is pretty much the only way to get any shading with it. This morning at Zoka Coffee, I let myself warm up with my favorite and familiar fountain pen (bottom of page). Then I spotted a few people with strong shadows on their faces, which I knew would be helpful in my next exercise. After a break to munch my scone and let my brain shift gears, I got out a four-color ballpoint.

Hatching looks really harsh and unattractive on faces, at least the way I do it; I was wincing the whole time I was sketching. Still, I’ve seen it done well, even on faces, so I know it’s only a matter of studying those drawings in which the hatching is done well and – you guessed it – practicing. Using a wash of ink for shading is so much faster and easier, but I know that hatching is teaching me more about shaping a subtle contour with line only.

2/16/16 ballpoint
By the way, I’ve upgraded my ballpoint to a four-color Uni Jetstream, which has less tendency to blob than the “hotel” Bics, and the mechanism is smoother than the classic four-color Bic I was using earlier. As long as I’ve got four colors in one pen, I’m also seeing if I can cheat with hues to help with the shading. (An added benefit of the four-color pen over Bic sticks is its larger diameter, similar to my favorite fountain pens, which is more comfortable.)

2/16/16 ballpoint
2/16/16 ballpoint
2/16/16 fountain pen, colored pencil

2/16/16 fountain pen, colored pencils

2 comments:

  1. Nice sketches both with the hatching and the ink washes. I personally prefer the ink washes because they are so smooth. I have a hard time just hatching something too. Maybe I just don't really like leaving the stark marks no matter how closely I hatch...but then I do admire it when people do it on their own work. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan. I was just looking at some beautiful hatched drawings by Nina Johansson, and her technique gave me something to work toward! Hatching is definitely challenging.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...