Friday, December 23, 2022

Sketch Material Wish List for 2023

 

Uglybooks: Please put all these colors in one book!
One of my favorite year-end posts is this one in which I whine about describe the art materials that I would ask Santa for – if such materials existed. From a picky sketcher like me, it’s often a tall order, and yet it never hurts to ask – a few times my wishes have eventually been fulfilled (most notably the one for bicolor watercolor pencils). Last year the only thing on my list wasn’t even a product – it was just a few additional colors within a product line. If my list is that short, I guess my sketching life is pretty good.

This year my list is almost as short – just two items (and granted, they are fairly esoteric and idiosyncratic, but isn’t everything when it relates to favored art materials?):

I have been tickled to pieces about Uglybooks, my spectacular sketchbook discovery this year that has given me so many more color options for toned paper than I’ve ever had. I’ve been using them in many ways, including the more typical midtone with black and white and lately as “underpainting” colors. As happy as I am with Uglybooks, you’d think I’d have nothing to ask for, but I do: I want an Uglybook edition containing multiple colors! A variety of cool and warm midtones plus black (or another dark hue) bound into a single book would be ideal. (Yes, I’ve already asked them to do it. If I’m patient, this one might have a chance of being fulfilled!)

So many Bic 4-Colors available, yet none with Xtra Bold points!
(I typically go outdoors to take my "bouquet" photos,
but it's snowing as I prepare this blog post.)

Taking France Van Stone’s crosshatching courses during InkTober this year really pushed me to explore a technique I had been wanting to practice for a long time but had never made the commitment to do so. At the same time, her extensive use of Xtra Bold point Bics brought me to a new level of appreciation for these ballpoints. A Google search will bring up gazillions of types of Bics, including  my favorite Bic form factor and body type, the 4-Color. It comes in many different iterations of ink color, body color and even those covered with velour – yet the point sizes seem to be limited to standard medium or fine. I want a Bic 4-Color containing 1.6mm Xtra Bold points, which is most commonly found in the Cristal and Velocity bodies. I have searched high and low, even among Bic fans in France who have access to Bics that don’t get distributed in the US. A 4-Color with bold points doesn’t exist. It would be so convenient to have four Xtra Bold colors in a single pen to crosshatch with! I bet France would want one, too!

Here are my wish lists from previous years:

2021
2020
2019

If you could ask Santa for an art material or tool that doesn’t yet exist, what would you ask for?

6 comments:

  1. Hope you get the mixed color Uglybook. That sounds promising! I'd have to really think about what I would ask for. Right now I'm not even sure of what I do have. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of a multicoloured uglybook. I never tried them as they are impossible to find where I live. I use the talens toned paper. I cut the sheets into smaller pieces and store them in a Hahnemühle postcard tin. Works for me.

    My wishlist is the same as every year and it is just one item: watersoluble graphite lead in either 2mm or 3mm. I love using water soluble graphite and just carrying my fixpencil and a travel brush would be ideal (especially since I keep forgetting/loosing sharpeners. They hate me, I swear.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Caran d'Ache has water-soluble graphite in 3.8mm, but I can't think of any off-hand in 2mm or 3mm. But I'll keep thinking and let you know if I think of any... it seems like I might have seen them somewhere...

      Delete
    2. That would be great, thanks. There was a water-soluble carpenters pencil in 2,8 mm, but the feeling was weird. Like drawing with grease (makes sense for its intended purpose and it was worth a try)
      I tried the 3,8 lead, but due to my sketches being rather small, it didn't work out. I also thought the lead holder was clunky and difficult to use (I really love my fixpencil)

      Maybe the gods of sketching will eventually hear my prayers:)

      Delete
    3. It never hurts to keep praying! ;-) In the meantime, I'll keep my eye open for you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...