Saturday, October 19, 2024

Rising, Setting

 

Several months ago when I was trying to figure out my game plan for downsizing, I had solid reasons to trade our traditional, two-story house for a small condo. The primary one was to cut the square footage in half – less space to heat and cool, less stuff to eventually move to a retirement community, overall less. I also wanted to reduce the wear and tear on my body (and the risk of falling) by eliminating or reducing the number of staircases I use daily. The yardwork was something I had never been interested in, and the relentless maintenance tasks for a centenarian house were burdensome. (I also mistakenly thought that by buying a condo, I could get half the house for about half the price – what a misperception!)

A real estate agent helped me find some condos within my criteria, but none made me even want to go inside to look. I would walk around the buildings, try to imagine the sketching possibilities from the windows, and cross them off my list. And then I would think about the shady, private backyard deck that I enjoy every year from May through September, having meals and feeding jays (not to mention sketching). This past summer, my first without the spouse guy at home, it was comforting to recall all the time we enjoyed out there together, especially during the pandemic. If I moved, I would miss that deck dearly.


Now that I’ve made the decision to stay put and downsize within, my appreciation for all I’ve loved about this house has increased. High on my love list is that I can see and sketch sky colors of both sunrise and sunset without getting out of my jammies. The weeks around the equinoxes are especially convenient – the sun comes up and goes down within sketchable waking hours.

Thank you, old Maple Leaf house, for all you continue to give me every day (and that I hope to enjoy for many years yet). I will not take you for granted.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...