Sunday, October 27, 2024

Another Dayton Maples Retrospective

 

10/22/24 Dayton Avenue Northwest, Greenwood/Crown Hill neighborhood

Since I did it last year, I’m doing it again this year, and then it will become a tradition: a Dayton maples retrospective.

The Dayton Avenue maples in the Greenwood/Crown Hill neighborhood (the trees are on the border between those two neighborhoods, so I’ve used both labels) are the trees I sketch most regularly on my annual leaf-peeping tour. Since I have so many now, it’s fun as well as intriguing to look back at all my sketches of the same trees every autumn. I choose the sketches that were done on dates closest to the one I did in the current year. It’s my version of a perpetual nature journal.

Above is the sketch I made most recently. Compared to when I sketched them in September, they’re showing some color, but this late in October, I’m surprised I didn’t see more. As is apparent from the sketches below, though, the degree of coloring has varied widely around the third week of October.

10/22/23

10/22/20

10/19/18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...