Friday, February 10, 2023

Neopastel Portraits

2/5/23 Stillman & Birn Zeta (all reference photos by Earthsworld)

Here are a few more portrait experiments with Caran d’Ache Neopastel oil pastels. The first two are in a Stillman & Birn Zeta sketchbook, which has a smooth surface compared to the toothy Hahnemühle example I showed a few days ago. Unlike traditional soft pastels and pastel pencils, which require a strong tooth, these oil pastels are billed as workable on just about any support, including non-porous surfaces like glass. I suppose they are similar to grease pencils in that regard.

Because they’re so soft and creamy, I expected them to blend more easily, but it took some work pushing them around with a stump.

2/5/23 S&B Zeta

Next I tried colored papers: The black one is a Stillman & Birn Nova sketchbook, and the orange one is an Uglybook. As I had hoped when I got the set, they are very opaque on dark papers. I can use lighter colors right over darker colors easily. (Apologies for the poor images . . . the black paper, especially, is so reflective. I hope to get back to my scanner soon.)

2/6/23 S&B Nova

2/6/23 Uglybook

I’m a pointy pencil gal. One thing I keep having to remind myself as I use these blunt, chunky sticks, which are the diameter of kids’ crayons, is that I can’t exactly draw with them. They are intended for making broad strokes of color, almost like painting. I should probably be using a larger sketchbook if I want to go into delicate facial details. They really shove me out of my comfort zone, and I’m enjoying the shove.

2 comments:

  1. You seem to be making a lot more than broad strokes with these. Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're great for broad strokes but not tiny details!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...