Friday, February 3, 2023

Danish Day

 

1/30/23 Out of croissants? No problem.

To motivate myself to go out for a walk in the sub-freezing temperature on Monday, I dangled two carrots: One was an opportunity for a sketch (my usual walk-taking carrot); the other was an opportunity for a croissant. It was National Croissant Day, which I observe annually. I’ve celebrated with friends – both in person and on Zoom – as well as by myself.

Walking briskly, trying not to get chilled, I thought about that croissant all the way to Green Lake, where I planned to stop at the PCC for a warm-up coffee and my national observance. Apparently others before me knew of the holiday, because they were already sold out! A cream Danish would have to do. I did my best to bite it into the shape of a croissant before sketching it. (I’m sure the French would be aghast to hear me say this, but a Danish tastes nearly the same as a croissant.)


Incidentally, I researched to see if there was a National Danish Day, and there is, but it honors the Danish people, not their pastry. Too bad – I thought I had another one to put on my calendar.

4 comments:

  1. Actually if you Google it, National Danish Pastry Day is Dec 9th. You can pretty much find a holiday for anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I miss that??!! Thank you! Now on my calendar! :-)

      Delete
  2. I would be disappointed too. A croissant sounds mighty good. I laughed to see that you nibbled on the danish until it was shaped like a croissant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hungry and not too discriminating in my pastries! ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...