Friday, February 24, 2023

Greenwood Public Library

2/17/23 Greenwood library

I already miss my easy walk to the library whenever I want a book. The Green Lake Branch of the Seattle Public Library, my “home” branch, is closed until early next year for a seismic retrofit. The book I had on hold got sent to the Greenwood Branch for pickup, which is definitely not within easy walking distance, but it does have the advantage of underground parking.

On the drizzly morning when I went to get my book, I opted to park across the street so that I could make a quick sketch of the library. It’s not a lovely Carnegie building like the Green Lake Branch, but it’s large, modern and bright. I knew I would be there only for a few minutes, so I parked on the wrong side of the street. Before I could finish, though, this guy parked even more illegally than I did (right on the corner beyond the sign saying “no parking east of here”), blocking much of my view. How rude!

How rude!

Incidentally, I recently read an article about the relative “walkability” of Seattle neighborhoods. According to one definition, a walkable neighborhood is one in which a resident could walk to food stores, public libraries, parks, public transportation stops, restaurants, coffee shops and public schools within 15 minutes. Apparently Paris is a model for this ideal. Paris it ain’t, but based on these criteria, I’m pleased to say that Maple Leaf qualifies as an ideal neighborhood.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry your local library will be closed for a while. I wish we lived in a "walkable" town but that is not the case. Most people on Long Island pretty much live in their cars. Nothing is really close unless you live right in one of the small towns. Most of the libraries they have redone here are too modern for my taste...no character to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, your description is the way it is for many cities. I think it's getting harder to find truly walkable neighborhoods.

      Delete
  2. Wow! By that definition, my neighborhood is very walkable indeed! And I can add a movie theater and a bike shop to the list! Oh yeah, and a dog park;-) I love my neighborhood for that reason. Well, and for the birds and the Western chorus frogs. After many decades of living rural, walkability has now become my number 1 criterion for anywhere I live. I must be getting old...
    Anne HwH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, old-er ;-) ! But also practical and environmentally friendly! If we all walked to as many errands and amenities as possible, our carbon footprints would be smaller.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...