Sunday, May 23, 2021

Rusty at Gas Works Park

 

5/20/21 Gas Works Park
If you’ve been to Gas Works Park, you know that the primary color there is rust. A few days ago, the gas works weren’t the only things that were rusty; I hadn’t been to my favorite Seattle park in so long that I felt thoroughly rusty myself. As much as I’ve sketched in my own neighborhood and at home during the whole pandemic, and as many times as I’ve sketched at Gas Works Park, its scope and scale and having so many choices made me feel like a beginning sketcher.


Ever since I became fully vaccinated a couple of weeks ago, I’ve felt like Rip Van Winkle awakening after more than 14 weeks of isolation. Greg and I walked around Lake Union’s shore, climbed Kite Hill, slowly rotated to take in the 360-degree panorama, and I felt like a tourist instead of a native. Families and small groups picnicking, couples strolling, kit fliers taking advantage of the breeze – nothing had changed in more than a year, and yet everything had changed. Or maybe it was me who had changed. I appreciate everything more.

A bit stunned and bewildered, I eked out a quick sketch of some gas works and another of a few geese. I knew it didn’t matter what I sketched; it was just a teaser. I would be back for much more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...