Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Artist & Craftsman

 

5/24/21 U-District Artist & Craftsman
In addition to food shopping at TJ’s, another thing I missed greatly during my 14-month, self-enforced isolation was shopping for art supplies from actual shelves. Of course, I certainly purchased plenty of art supplies online during that time (what else was there to do?), but we all know that’s just not the same as strolling down aisles to see what’s new.

When I looked at the supply list for the Gage class I just started, I was dismayed to see that I already owned everything on it – What??! Nothing new to buy?? – except for one item. Gleefully, I grabbed a mask, jumped into my car, and dashed over to Artist & Craftsman in the U-District. Although it doesn’t have the widest selection in town, it has the funkiest, “artsy” ambiance. A bit dark with uneven floors and somewhat confusing aisles, it has no shiny displays or matching aprons on the employees. Working artists shop there with paint still on their hands, and the staff look that way, too.

On a rainy afternoon, I could barely see the nondescript storefront (which, oddly, doesn’t indicate the store name on its sign – only “Art Supplies”) from the parking lot across the street. But like my trip to TJ’s, I want to document my life on the other side of vaccination.

2 comments:

  1. We had an Artist & Craftsman on Long Island for a short time. They weren't in a convenient spot and disappeared. They had some good stuff. I miss having fun art stores to shop in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our art stores keep disappearing... we only have a couple good ones.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...