Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Vintage Colored Pencils: BO-FIM Cow Boy

Vintage Cedro Cow Boy colored pencils that  probably didn't come in this box originally.

Here’s a small set of colored pencils that I picked up on eBay a while back purely out of curiosity: Cedro Cow Boy. At least, that’s what I’m going to assume are the names of the manufacturer and brand because they are stamped on the pencils themselves. The plastic box they came in, however, says “Color-Graph” and “made in Italy.” Somehow I suspect these pencils did not come in this box when they were originally purchased. But no matter – I thought both the box and the pencils were curiosities, neither of which I’d heard of. 

A quick search on Brand Name Pencils (always my first stop when researching vintage pencils and also a great source for purchasing them) turned up a couple of specimens produced by an Argentinian pencil company called Cedro with a logo that looks somewhat similar to the one on my pencils. I could find no other information about either Cedro or Color-Graph pencils. What an interesting mystery!

The Cow Boy pencils themselves are typical of many older colored pencils I encounter: very hard and brittle and containing little pigment. Needless to say, I didn’t try making a sample sketch. This is more of a pictorial review of an unusual specimen. If you know anything about these pencils (or, for that matter, the box they came in), I’m all ears!  

Edited 9/17/20: After promoting this post in the Erasable Podcast Community group on Facebook, I learned that the box and the pencils do, indeed, belong to each other! In fact, “cedro” is simply the Portuguese word for cedar and not a brand name at all. Bobby Truby (of Brand Name Pencils) believes these are BO-FIM pencils made in Italy. His site shows an example of a different pencil made by the same company. I’ve changed the title of this post to reflect the corrected brand name.


I sure would like to get my hands on some of those silk-touch pencils that came in this box originally!

"Super-BO" -- clearly an important feature! I love the dingbats on either side of Cow Boy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...