Saturday, September 26, 2020

Inverted

9/22/20 Maple Leaf neighborhood

Here’s a type of architecture uncommon in Maple Leaf (this may be the only example I’ve seen on my daily walks). I wonder what keeps rain from collecting in the “valley” and eventually leaking through the roof? The style doesn’t appeal to me much esthetically, especially in this neighborhood of traditional Tudors and Craftsman homes, but it’s fun to draw from this angle.

I mentioned last month that I was disappointed not to be able to easily continue the Maple Leaf architecture series that I had started a couple of summers ago. Although I don’t feel comfortable now making leisurely portraits of houses from the sidewalk as I used to, this small 10-minute sketch was easy to do and almost as fun. In some ways, it’s a better challenge: How much can I capture with one pencil and a few lines? 

2 comments:

  1. I think it is an odd shaped house, very different from what you usually sketch in your area. I think you found a new way to do some quick house portraits until you are comfortable with standing and doing something that takes a bit more time. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we've all had to adapt our sketching to the new reality!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...