Sunday, January 5, 2020

Cosmic Crisp

1/2/20 Cosmic Crisp apple

I’m not sure how far outside of Washington state the new Cosmic Crisp apple has been distributed yet, but it is a huge hit in these parts. More than 20 years in the making, this apple variety has been bred for its “ability to survive in all of Washington state’s microclimates, its taste and texture, and how long it would store without decaying.” At first I poo-pooed the news as just another type of hyped-up, over-promoted, fancy, expensive produce. But since its price is about the same as Honeycrisp, our apple standby, we decided to try it. Somehow both sweeter and more tart than a Honeycrisp (I know that sounds contradictory, but that’s how I perceive it), the Cosmic Crisp has a startlingly intense flavor. I’m sold!

We’ve bought them several times now, including a recent organic batch from Whole Foods. Less shiny (unwaxed) compared to conventionally grown Cosmic Crisps, they are also not perfectly round, but they still taste the same. Most notably, I found one embellished with a “star”! I didn’t notice it the first time I bought them, but then a friend mentioned that she saw this cosmic-like mark on her apples. The next time I shopped, I took a more careful look . . . and there it was! I’m ambivalent about such overly designed produce, but I certainly couldn’t resist sketching it.

Star-struck or over-designed?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...