Saturday, November 10, 2018

High Up at Elliott Bay Book Co.

11/9/18 Elliott Bay Book Co.

Elliott Bay Book Company is one of Seattle’s last remaining independent general book stores. With high ceilings and exposed beams, the space invites settling in for a few hours of browsing thousands of books.

After strolling through the main floor, I headed up to the loft-like upper level, where I found an interesting view of several sketchers down below. I knew the perspective on the towering bookcases would be challenging, so I worked carefully trying to get them right. I must have gotten tired by the time I put in the back walls, though, and my perspective fell apart!

Tucking my tail under, I went into the café for a snack, had a nice chat with other sketchers, and made a non-challenging sketch (requiring no perspectival study) of the café’s countertop. Any book store that sells pencils right next to the coffee, scones and (delicious) biscuits is my kind of book store.
11/9/18 Elliott Bay Book's cafe

Although the basement where readings are given was closed to the public, the manager allowed us to use the space for our throwdown. As always, we had a good turnout and welcomed a few new faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...